Defunct Cruise Lines
Ms Rotterdam came into service with Holland America in 1997, she is the sixth Holland America ship to bear this name, Rotterdam set sail on her maiden voyage on 11 November 1996 but was not christened till December of the following year in a ceremony with HRH Princess margriet of the Netherlands acting as godmother to the vessel.
On board Rotterdam offers five different types of cabins Interior, Ocean-view, Lanai, Vista Suites: Verandah Suites and Neptune Suites: (Deluxe Verandah Suites), all cabins and suites are exceptionally comfortable and are equipped with Egyptian cotton towels, massage showerheads, good quality hair dryers, premium-quality mattresses and fresh fruit, Penthouse Verandah Suites and Deluxe Verandah Suites come with additional benefits including a Fully stocked, mini-bar and Complimentary use of the private Neptune Lounge.
There is a good choice of dining facilities Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options are served in the La Fontaine Dining Room or a more sophisticated dining experience can be found at the Pinnacle Grill, this intimate reservations-only venue offers premium Double R Ranch Beef, inspired seafood dishes and a choice of select wines, or relax in the lido restaurant featuring fresh, cooked-to-order meals.
for entertainment there’s all the usual traditional facilities such as a casino, pools and whirlpools and a theatre featuring talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts, for younger guests there’s Club HAL®: a dedicated youth facility and activity club for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate and The Loft: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
Onboard Entertainment and Facilities
|Restaurants & Bars||Shops|
|Fast Food||Room Service|
|Nightclub or Disco||Lounge|
|Pursers desk||Excursion desk|
|Card room||Medical room|
|Laundry room||Sauna/steam room|
|Gym||Childrens activity clubs|
|Babysitting service||Video games room|
|Sports facilities||Outdoor movie theater|
History's Most Famous
10. Costa Concordia - Largest cruise ship disaster, ran aground and capsized near Italy (2012), her captain allegedly saved himself whilst others were still onboard.
9. Hms Victory - Admiral Nelson's flagship, Best known for her role in the Battle of Trafalgar, now a museum ship at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, England
8. Hms Bounty - Made famous for Mutiny aboard ship, (April 28, 1789) against her captain William Bligh.
7. Santa Maria - was the largest of the three ships used by Christopher Columbus in his first voyage.
6. USS Indianapolis - After delivering critical parts for the first atomic bomb the ship was torpedoed and sank, from the remaining 880 surviving crewmen only 317 were rescued with 563 men succumbing to shark attacks and dehydration.
5. Bismarck - One of the largest battleships ever built by Germany, responsible for sinking the British battleship Hms Hood.
4. USS Arizona - Sunk during the pearl harbour attacks in 1941, the ship still lies where she sank with a memorial constructed above it honouring the crew.
3. USS missouri - The place of the surrender of Japan which ended World War II. Now a museum ship at pearl harbour
2. Rms carpathia - Made famous when she came to the rescue of the survivors of the Titanic disaster
1. Rms Titanic - Probably the most famous ship of all is the alleged unsinkable titanic which hit an iceberg and sank on her maiden voyage (April 14 1912)