Defunct Cruise Lines
Ms Veendam came into service for Holland America in 1996, The ship was named in a christening ceremony on 14 January with actress Debbie Reynolds acting as godmother.
On board five major types of staterooms are on offer Interior, Ocean-view, Vista Suites: (Verandah Suites) Neptune Suites: (Deluxe Verandah Suites), and (Lanai Suites) a typical interior cabin comes equipped with Luxurious beds featuring Sealy® Premium Euro-Top mattresses and finely woven cotton linens, 100% Egyptian cotton towels, Deluxe waffle weave and terry cloth bathrobes for use during your voyage, Premium massage showerheads, make-up mirrors and salon-quality hair dryers, Complimentary fresh fruit on request, Flat-panel TV and DVD player, Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-stateroom beverages, Ice service, shoeshine service and nightly turndown service.
Veendam offers a good choice of dining facilities Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-Carb options are served in the La Fontaine Dining Room or a more sophisticated dining experience can be found at the Pinnacle Grill, this intimate reservations-only venue offers premium Double R Ranch Beef, inspired seafood dishes and a choice of select wines, or relax in the lido restaurant featuring fresh, cooked-to-order meals.
Entertainment on the ship includes all the usual cruise ship amenities, in 2009 Veendam received HAL signature of excellence upgrades which included a new resort pool concept, innovative lanai staterooms and new entertainment options.
Onboard Entertainment and Facilities
|Restaurants & Bars||Shops|
|Fast Food||Room Service|
|Nightclub or Disco||Lounge|
|Pursers desk||Excursion desk|
|Card room||Medical room|
|Laundry room||Sauna/steam room|
|Gym||Childrens activity clubs|
|Babysitting service||Video games room|
|Sports facilities||Outdoor movie theater|
History's Most Famous
10. Costa Concordia - Largest cruise ship disaster, ran aground and capsized near Italy (2012), her captain allegedly saved himself whilst others were still onboard.
9. Hms Victory - Admiral Nelson's flagship, Best known for her role in the Battle of Trafalgar, now a museum ship at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, England
8. Hms Bounty - Made famous for Mutiny aboard ship, (April 28, 1789) against her captain William Bligh.
7. Santa Maria - was the largest of the three ships used by Christopher Columbus in his first voyage.
6. USS Indianapolis - After delivering critical parts for the first atomic bomb the ship was torpedoed and sank, from the remaining 880 surviving crewmen only 317 were rescued with 563 men succumbing to shark attacks and dehydration.
5. Bismarck - One of the largest battleships ever built by Germany, responsible for sinking the British battleship Hms Hood.
4. USS Arizona - Sunk during the pearl harbour attacks in 1941, the ship still lies where she sank with a memorial constructed above it honouring the crew.
3. USS missouri - The place of the surrender of Japan which ended World War II. Now a museum ship at pearl harbour
2. Rms carpathia - Made famous when she came to the rescue of the survivors of the Titanic disaster
1. Rms Titanic - Probably the most famous ship of all is the alleged unsinkable titanic which hit an iceberg and sank on her maiden voyage (April 14 1912)