Defunct Cruise Lines
The SS Nomadic is the last surviving White Star Line Ship She was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, northern Ireland as a tender for the RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic, her job was to ferry 1st and second class passengers and their luggage, mail and other ship's supplies to and from the ocean liners as they were too large to dock in Cherbourg harbour, while nomadic’s sister ship the SS Traffic had the job of ferrying the third class passengers.
Although nomadic was very small in comparison to the large ocean liners the tiny coal powered steamer was able to carry up to a 1,000 passengers when fully loaded, there was also A small area in the aft end of the lower deck that was designed for any overspill of third-class passengers from her sister SS Traffic.
On board nomadic she was fitted out to a similar standard as titanic and Olympic with ornate decorative joinery and plasterwork, porcelain water fountains.
she came into service for white star line in June 1911,but after the outbreak of the first world war Nomadic was requisitioned by the French government for use as a minesweeper and patrol ship, after the war was over nomadic returned to her tendering duties.
In 1934 White Star and Cunard Lines merged and nomadic was sold to Cherbourg Tow & Rescue Society and re-named and re-named Ingenieur Minard.
nomadic was called upon again during world war two where she helped with the evacuation of Cherbourg and operated as a troop ship, coastal patrol boat and minelayer based out of Portsmouth, after the war she returned to tendering duties for the Cherbourg Tow & Rescue Society until 4 November 1968 when she was retired.
After retirement nomadic stood for approximately five years until she was bought by entrepreneur Yvon Vincent and turned into a floating restaurant and in 1974 she was relocated to the Seine in Paris, however due to her owners getting into financial difficulties Nomadic was seized by the Paris harbour authorities, and she was towed out of Paris to Le Havre in 2003, in 2005 her owner Yvon Vincent passed away so the authorities sought to dispose of the ship at auction and on 26 January 2006, the Northern Ireland government Department for Social Development bought nomadic for €250,001.
After rescuing Nomadic from her uncertain future the ship was transported back to where she was build almost a 100 years ago, the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Nomadic moved into her new permanent home, the Hamilton dock at the newly redeveloped titanic quarter in august 2009 before undergoing her extensive restoration.
It was hoped that nomadic would be restored for the 100 year anniversary of the titanic disaster, which would also coincide with the opening of the new Titanic Belfast visitor attraction, however this was not possible and the now restored SS Nomadic is expected to open to the public in June 2013.